Caldwell County Emergency Services (ES) is advising all citizens to prepare TODAY for severe winter weather Friday and through the weekend.
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning through Saturday for Caldwell County with Winter Storm Jonas. This strong storm system is being forecast to begin impacting the area tonight and early Friday morning with the possibility of significant amounts of snow, sleet and freezing rain into Saturday and possibly through Saturday night into Sunday.
Caldwell County Emergency Services has equipment in place to handle winter weather conditions, including generators to operate the Emergency Operations Center and shelters if it is determined shelters are needed.
Caldwell County Emergency Services, EMS and the Sheriff’s Office have multiple four-wheel drive vehicles including two (2), four-wheel drive ambulances and traction devices for all other vehicles. Citizens should be aware that response times to calls could be slower depending on the weather.
Citizens should also be aware that if conditions worsen and warrant, Caldwell County EMS will not transport patients out of the area. They will be transported to the nearest appropriate facility.
Citizens are being encouraged and reminded to:
- Prepare today for severe winter weather with supplies in place in case of power outages.
- Charge all cell phones and back up batteries fully today and tonight in case land line service is interrupted.
- Stay home and off the roads unless it is an emergency once weather conditions begin to deteriorate. Have emergency supplies in your car if you must travel.
- DO NOT call 911 unless it is an emergency. Do not call 911 for weather or road conditions. 911 staff need to be clear to handle any emergencies that may happen.
- Have a weather radio for updates on weather.
- If you go outside, be sure to cover all exposed skin and keep dry.
- Drink fluids often as dehydration is common in cold weather.
# # #