Lenoir – The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), a division of the Caldwell County Health Department, provides supplemental nutritious foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to health care and community resources to participants.
To be eligible for WIC, a person must:
- Be a pregnant woman, a breastfeeding woman who has had a baby in the last 12 months, a woman who has had a baby in the last six months, or the parent or guardian with an infant or a child up to five years old
- Reside in North Carolina
- Meet income eligibility requirements:
- The gross annual household income cannot exceed 185% of the Federal poverty income guidelines, which is 55,000 for a family of four.
- All Medicaid, Food and Nutrition Services (food stamps) and Work First recipients meet the WIC income eligibility criteria
- Have an identified nutritional risk as determined by a health professional.
For more information about WIC or to make an appointment, please call 828-426-8407, go online to www.ncdhhs.gov/ncwic, or visit the office at 2345 Morganton Boulevard in Lenoir. Applications for the WIC Program are accepted Monday-Thursday from 7:30 am-5:00 pm and Fridays from 7:30-11:30 am.