The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office offers numerous services to our citizens.

Gun Purchase Permits

Handgun Permits: Only a County Sheriff is authorized under G.S. 14-402 to issue a permit to receive or purchase a handgun or crossbow when an application is submitted by a resident of his particular county. Prior to issuing a permit, the Sheriff must fully satisfy himself by affidavits, oral evidence, or otherwise that the applicant is of good moral character and that the person, firm, or corporation wants to possess the weapon for one of the following purposes.

  • Protection of home, business, person, family, or property
  • Target shooting
  • Collection
  • Hunting

The applicant need only come by the Sheriff's Office, Monday through Friday 9 am to 4 pm, and complete an application. There is a 5 (Business) Day Waiting Period. The cost is $5 per permit and is due upon application. 

.You must provide the following information:

  • A valid NC Driver's License or Identification Card with the correct Caldwell County address
  • Proof of Caldwell County residency for the last 6 months
  • Your INS Number if applicable

Concealed Weapon Carry Permits

In order to acquire such a permit, an individual must apply to the Sheriff's Office in the county in which he resides. No appointment is necessary. However new applicants are processed Tuesday through Thursday from 9 am-4 pm. Renewal applicants are processed Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm. As a part of the application, the person must submit several items:

  • They must complete an application, under oath, on a form provided by the Sheriff's Office.
  • They must pay a non-refundable fee of $90 for new applicants and pay a non-refundable fee of $75 for renewal applicants.
  • When applying for a new permit the applicant must provide an original certificate of completion of an approved handgun safety course.
  • The applicant must also provide a release that authorizes and requires disclosure to the Sheriff of any records concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant.

The paperwork process is lengthy, and at this time our lobby has remained closed due to COVID-19 precautions so applicants are requested to please complete the application prior to coming in to apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit and please wear a Mask.

The Sheriff has 90 days from the time all of the application materials are received to either issue or deny a permit. In order for the applicant to be approved, they must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States
  • Have been a resident of the state for no less than 30 days immediately preceding the filing of the application
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Not suffer from any physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun
  • Have successfully completed an approved firearms training course
  • Provide a copy of a valid North Carolina Issued Identification or North Carolina Driver's License

Concealed Weapons Permit Instructors

  • Jerry Simmons 828-850-7817
  • Michael Church 828-455-8769
  • Tim Gordon 828-221-2900
  • Don Lowman 828-493-4333
  • Bear Rock Gun Shop 828-572-2445
  • Marty Robbins 828-851-1910


The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office provides fingerprinting for our citizens for adoptions, employment, etc. This service is provided at the Sheriff's Office in Lenoir. Fingerprints are done by walk-ins Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm.


  • Caldwell County Resident $7
  • Non-Caldwell County Residents $15

Community Watch Organization

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office can help your community set up and organize a Community Watch Program in your neighborhood. If you would like more information on the program you may call Captain Aaron Barlowe at 828-758-2324.

Activity Permit

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office is tasked with approving activity permits for parties and events that are occurring in the county. The application must be submitted and approved 45 days prior to the activity. 

Trespass Agreements

The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office maintains all Trespass Agreements for property in the County. If you are having issues with individuals trespassing on your property you can obtain a Trespass Agreement with the Sheriff's Office which gives our agency the authority to arrest if individuals are located on your property after being warned not to be. In order to register a Trespass Agreement, you must complete the Trespass Agreement form, you must then bring this form to the Sheriff's Office with State issued ID. You must be the property owner in order to obtain a Trespass Agreement.

Child Restraint Violations

To be in compliance with Child Restraint Violations, please visit the permanent checking station at the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office on the first Tuesday of every month from 5 pm to 7 pm (No Holidays). It is mandatory that you bring your citation, correct car seat, vehicle, and child with you. This is not a free car seat distribution program.